- The audit was conducted on 22-29 April 2022.
- After giving notice of the order on 23 June 2022, the order was issued on 4 July 2022.
The purpose of the audit was to follow up how Saipem complies with the regulatory requirements for barrier and maintenance management. Attention concentrated on facilities, systems and equipment related to electrical facilities, instrumented safety systems and drilling-related systems.
The audit identified 18 nonconformities. These were:
- barrier management
- handling of nonconformities
- disconnection of ignition sources
- overpressure protection
- emergency power facilities
- emergency lighting
- electrical facilities and installations
- electrotechnical system analysis
- documentation of pressure and function testing
- overview of equipment
- maintenance programme
- planning and prioritisation
- maintenance efficiency
- training and drills
- work on and operation of electrical facilities
- risk assessment of the health risk from electromagnetic fields
The audit identified serious breaches of the regulations. On that basis, the PSA has issued the following order to Saipem.
Pursuant to section 69 of the framework regulations on administrative decisions, see sections 5 and 21, paragraphs 1 and two, of the management regulations on barriers and on follow-up respectively and sections 8, paragraph 1, and 10a of the facilities regulations on safety functions and on ignition source control respectively, we order Saipem Drilling Norway ASA to:
- ensure the necessary follow-up and verification, see chapter 5.1.1 of the report
- identify and establish necessary barrier, making known which functions and performance requirements are set for the specific technical, operational or organisational barrier elements required for the individual barrier to be effective, see chapter 5.1.2 of the report
- implement technical solutions to ensure that all non-critical equipment which represent an ignition source are automatically disconnected when gas is detected, see chapter 5.1.4 of the report.
Deadlines for complying with this order are set to 1 October 2022 for part 1, 1 March 2023 for part 2 and the completion of docking in 2022 for part 3. We must be notified when the order in its entirety has been complied with. Separate notifications must also be submitted for the individual parts of the order when they are completed.